In today’s fast-evolving world, Search Engine Optimisation techniques can change right away and you might not even know about it. Tricks that had won you first-page search engine results in 2016 may be obsolete by now. Moreover, such hacks may also pull down your website performance if not improved upon.
That is why you have to always stay on your toes, continuously evolving your SEO strategy based on the latest techniques and market trends.
4 SEO Hacks to Improve Google Rankings
Search Engine Optimisation is the buzzword today and an integral component of digital marketing. Marketing statistics published by HubSpot shows that for 61% of marketers, Search Engine Optimisation and organic presence is their top ‘inbound marketing’ priority.
Furthermore, Web Strategies reveal that Search Engine marketing will hold the largest share of digital marketing spend by 2020, with online display advertising taking the second position. In 2018, an average firm is expected to allocate 41% of their marketing budget to SEO and this will grow to 45% by 2020.
The above statistics reveal that more and more marketers are now investing in SEO, which means greater competition. Everyone is pushing hard to be at the top of Google. So, it is time that you rethink your focus and likewise, adopt SEO strategies that are latest, legitimate & impactful.
- On-page SEO Strategies 2018 -Step by Step Guide
- Top SEO Ranking Factors of 2018
- 13 Tips to Optimize Your Website for Mobile SEO FAST!
Discussed here are 4 most important tips and tracks to get your website to the top ranking and boost your business performance.
1. Improve User Engagement for Higher Page Rankings
While Google never reveals this, but evidences suggest that websites with better user engagement have a higher page ranking. User engagement metric measures the amount of time a visitor spends on your page. The higher the page timing is, the stronger is your user engagement and better are your page rankings on Google.
On the flip side, web pages that have a higher bounce rate typically rank low in search engine results. The co-relation between bounce rate and search position is best depicted in the graph below, created by WordStream.
So, how can you improve user engagement on your website? Here are some tips for you:
- Use images and infographics: Reading through words can be boring sometimes. Make it enticing for your visitors by incorporating images, charts, graphs and videos. Infographics are a great way to provide valuable information in an interesting and eye-catchy manner. Here is an example for you:
- Make your content easily readable: Using shorter sentences, shorter paragraphs, bullet points, and sub-heads is a good way to make your content more readable and engaging.
- Easy navigability: Is navigating through your site quick and easy? Make your site or content easily navigable by using modern web development techniques.
2. Shift Focus from ‘Keywords’ to ‘Topics’
Google algorithm is rapidly evolving and the current focus is on ‘topics’ or long-tail key phrases. The objective is to understand what the users are looking for, what they expect and which search results would best answer their query. Here is an example:
Google now prioritises websites or content that focus not only on keywords, but also the context around them.
So, if you want to get to the first page, understand what type of audiences you are targeting and how to organise the content based on different ‘themes’ rather than focusing on keywords.
In 2018, links still continue to be one of the top factors affecting Google page ranking. According to a survey by Google Search strategists, two of the most vital signals for website ranking are Link Building & Quality Content. Here’s how backlinks are related to Google page rankings:
However, what has changed in 2018 is the way to build backlinks to get top results. Google has clearly sent out the message – links from poor quality websites, link spamming, paid links, etc. will not work anymore and can essentially harm your website.
So, marketers be aware and use these link building tips to earn top search engine rankings:
- Create a 100% Unique Content: A content that is unique, interesting and one-of-a-kind attracts links from authoritative sites.
- Include Infographics: Link building using infographics is a relatively new concept but is powerful enough to draw quality links. Create an information-rich, eye-catchy infographic that people will love to share in their content. However, to ensure that they do not just embed it and also give a link, follow these steps:
Step 1: Right click on the infographic and select “Copy Image URL” to get a copy of the filename
Step 2: Go to Google Images and click on the ‘Camera’ symbol
Step 3: Paste the URL that you have copied
Step 4: Click ‘Search by Image’ and you will get the website or blog results that similar images
Step 5: Visit the URLs and ensure that the infographic has link directing back to your website. If not, send an email to the website owner to add a link to the Source
- Guest Posting: Guest posting is another good way to get backlinks. However, beware of guest posting from article directories or which is only about publishing or spinning articles on hundreds of poor quality sites. Also monitor guest posts from websites that publish only guest posts and do not have any original content.
4. SEO Reporting & Analytics
Reporting and analytics is an integral component of Search Engine Optimisation, though it has always been neglected by marketers. But not anymore, says Google. Having an analytics platform can help monitor your customer’s journey, right from their visit to sales and revenue generation.
There are several analytics tool available in the market, including Google Analytics that provides a plethora of data on diverse parameters. Understanding these reports will help evaluate whether or not your SEO strategy is performing as expected, what improvements could be made and where, and other factors. This is crucial to get higher page rankings and grow your business in the long run.
The top SEO tips and tricks discussed above can help you optimise your strategy and make the most out of it. SEO Consultants or companies who creates a Search Engine Optimization plan that is effectively built on these modern trends can help improve your page rankings, while driving more traffic and sales.